One batch serves 4-5
- 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 pkg. quick-rising dry yeast
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water (125 to 130 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
– or –
- 1 frozen bread dough loaf. Place in glass bowl. Cover with cellophane sprayed with olive oil. After thawing in frig, leave out to rise – 6-7 hrs
- 2 heaping tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 oz (1 ½ cups) sliced lean ham – not diced
- 8 oz (1 cup) sliced sharp Swiss cheese
- 3 medium dill pickles – diced
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Sesame seeds – toasted
If making dough ..
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar; stir water and butter Into dry ingredients. Add salt. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface 4 to 6 minutes until smooth and elastic. Let rise, covered, 10 minutes.
- Combine mustard and mayonnaise.
- On lightly floured surface (baking sheet) roll dough to 14×1 0-inch rectangle.
- Transfer to large baking sheet.
- Evenly layer 1/3 ham and ½ pickles, then 1/2 cheese – smear ½ of mustard/mayo mixture over all of the cheese. Repeat with 1/3 ham, pickles, remaining cheese and mustard. Top with remaining ham.
- Make cuts from filling to dough edges at 1-inch intervals along sides of filling. Alternating sides, fold strips at angle across filling. Pinch both ends to enclose filling. Wait to brush with egg white until after it rises some more.
- Let rise, covered, in warm, draft free place about 30 to 45 minutes or more until doubled in size. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds after it rises. Cover in cellophane that is sprayed with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until done. Remove to wire rack.
- Serve warm and refrigerate leftovers.
- If made ahead, reheat by wrapping in foil and baking at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Baking and/or Serving Suggestions
A good idea, since preparation is involved, is to make two batches. Put the second batch in the frig and I can almost guarantee it will be eaten fairly quickly. This is a great and quick snack/lunch when you place the refrigerated pieces in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.